As explained in our last few release milestone posts, we're entering a period where change to Ubuntu Touch will slow down for a while. This shift in priorities is allowing us to get Ubuntu Touch based on Ubuntu 20.04 built and on par with the stability of Ubuntu Touch based on Ubuntu 16.04. Even so, there are some great improvements in this release!
• Fingreprint reader: Prevent locking with to many failled attepmts
• Lomiri: Improve drawer performance with interactive blur
• Headset media buttons work now
• Upgrade QtWebEngine to 5.15.10
• Initial gesture support (double-tap to wake screen) on capable devices
• Messaging app: various improvements for MMS and SMS
And a few bugs and common issues have been fixed, too.
By the way, if you'd like to help us out with Ubuntu Touch based on Ubuntu 20.04, you can learn more on the GitLab Epic we created for the project. This epic lists milestones and tasks that need to be completed for the project to be finished. We're developing a tool called the UBports Platform Development Kit, an integrated vm-in-a-box with handy developer tools that make it a cinch to work on our 20.04 images. It works on many Linux distributions, Intel, ARM64 and MacOS. We're also working on Windows support. We'd appreciate you trying it out and giving us a hand with documenting and developing with it.