Call for testing: Ubuntu Touch OTA-10
Update August 16: Ubuntu Touch OTA-10 was delayed due to "Google account key change invalidates authentication, can't sign back in," followed by "Broken online accounts fail silently." The changes aggravating these issues have been reverted and the release is now ready to proceed again. The new release date for Ubuntu Touch OTA-10 is Wednesday, August 21.
Hello again, everyone!
I'm happy to announce that we would like your help to test OTA-10! OTA-10 is slated to release on Wednesday, August 14, 2019. Until then, we need to make sure it's ready to go!
How can I test?
We want to ensure that every release we ship is better than the previous, so we're looking to our entire community to help us with QA (Quality Assurance) of OTA-10.
We've prepared a GitHub Project for OTA-10 QA which lists the issues we'd like your feedback on. The QA column lists issues which do not have complete test results. The Done column lists issues which, thanks to our efforts here, are confirmed to be fixed. The In Progress column lists issues which are not fixed, or the fix introduces a severe negative side effect. The goal at the end of this is to have every issue in the Done column.
We're interested in hearing your feedback on everything in the QA column. We want to know:
- Which device are you using?
- Is the issue fixed in your testing?
- Did you notice any side effects to the change as it is listed in the issue or Pull Request?
Testing any issue should be easy. On your device:
- Update all of your apps using "System Settings -> Updates" or "My Apps" in the OpenStore app
- Head to System Settings -> Updates -> Update Settings -> Release Channel
- Go back to the Updates screen to install the downloaded update
After your phone reboots, you'll be on the OTA-10 release candidate! Of course, only step 4 is required if you are already on the
rc channel, this update will come through as normal.
You will receive an image named
(2019-W32) or newer. You can find your image version in System Settings -> About -> OS.
Now you can pick any issue in the QA column in the OTA-10 project, then ensure that you are not able to reproduce the issue. If you can't reproduce the issue, the fix worked! If you can still reproduce the issue (or you notice something else isn't right), we want to know about that too. Leave a comment with your device and image version, then let us know the results of your test.
We also have a OTA-10 Call for Testing forum post where we can discuss any questions you may have about anything that comes up during your testing.
What follows is a changelog for this release of Ubuntu Touch. Only changes from UBports contributors are included, those which come from upstream Ubuntu are not listed.
Note that this release does NOT include the latest upstream version of Mir or Unity8. That transition is ongoing and is tracked in the Unity8+Mir upgrade project.
This update has added a new SDK version,
ubuntu-sdk-16.04.2. App developers, please use this framework if you would like to target the changes in this release.
- Bring in upstream patch to create a "Label" field, allowing us to more easily sort contacts by the first letter of their name: ubports/qpim-opensource-src-packaging#4
- Add AppArmor rule to allow aethercast to create DHCP leases, fixing wireless display, fixes ubports/ubuntu-touch#781: ubports/isc-dhcp-packaging@640ad51
- Change destructive actions to use red button colors, following HIG: ubports/ubuntu-system-settings-online-accounts#7 & ubports/system-settings#162
- Add a "4G" icon, fixes ubports/ubuntu-themes#5: ubports/ubuntu-themes#7
- Add a "5G" icon (but don't use it on AT&T's network :P ), fixes ubports/ubuntu-themes#6: ubports/ubuntu-themes#8
- Flash a new bootsplash image to the Fairphone 2 and Nexus 5. Preparations for the Oneplus One have been made to get the new bootsplash in OTA-11. Other devices will not have a new bootsplash installed. ubports/android_device_fairphone_fp2#14 & ubports/android_device_lge_hammerhead#20 & ubports/android_device_oneplus_bacon-1/pull/10, ubports/android_device_oneplus_bacon-1/pull/17, ubports/android_device_oneplus_bacon-1/pull/18, ubports/android_device_oneplus_bacon-1/pull/19
- Write image update time earlier in update process, fixes ubports/ubuntu-touch#1139: ubports-system-settings#159
- Add the new OPO bootsplash to the UBports Installer, for all users that don´t want to wait for OTA-11
- Allow some cameras on devices with Android 7.1 to function: ubports/mir#13
- Allow the popup on keypress to be turned off, fixes ubports/keyboard-component#65: ubports/keyboard-component#66 and ubports/system-settings#132
- Fix thread titles randomly switching between the participants' names or phone numbers, fixes ubports/messaging-app#77: ubports/messaging-app#87
- Draft messages in the default Messaging app, fixes ubports/messaging-app#65: ubports/messaging-app#102
- Use accountRegex only when the selfContactId isn't a phone number, reducing warnings: ubports/messaging-app#103
- Fix the width calculation of the recipient input field to allow pasting recipients, fixes ubports/messaging-app#84: ubports/messaging-app#106)
- Add an option to use the system theme in the messaging app, fixes ubports/messaging-app#89: [ubports/messaging-app#107](https://github.com/ubports/messaging-app/pull/107
- Fix package selection during installation from lists in Libertine, fixes ubports/libertine#33: ubports/libertine#34
- Allow us to create a mobile-specific file selector component: ubports/ubuntu-touch-session#8
- Remove "width" setting from the Label component, fixes ubports/qqc2-suru-style#19: ubports/qqc2-suru-style#27
- Set the default dial background width to match the material design size, fixes ubports/qqc2-suru-style#29: ubports/qqc2-suru-style#30
- Add "Back to safety" button to certificate errors: ubports/morph-browser#185
- Add pulseaudio-modules-droid-24 to enable sound on Android 7.1 devices: ubports/ubuntu-touch-meta#44
- Ensure the Greeter's background always covers the shell: ubports/unity8#169
- Fix re-authorizing sync accounts, closes ubports/ubuntu-touch#1191: ubports/sync-monitor#13
- Fix pkg-config files requiring
- Implement checking for Android camera rotation data, fixes ubports/ubuntu-touch#370: ubports/qtubuntu-camera#2, ubports/qtubuntu-camera#9, and ubports/apps/camera-app!122
- Fix audio/video desync issue on FP2 and OPO
- Swap left and right headphone channel, fixes ubports/ubuntu-touch#563: ubports/android_device_fairphone_fp2#16
- Replace dependency on autopilot-qt with autopilot-qt5: ubports/keyboard-component#80
- Remove references to espoo (HERE) location backend: ubports/location-service#6
- Remove wolfpack (geoclue2) location backend: ubports/ubuntu-touch-meta#48 and ubports/lxc-android-config#25
- Use repo.ubports.com rather than stable-phone-overlay PPA in Libertine, fixes ubports/libertine#44: ubports/libertine#45